TEACHING OPPORTUNITY IN JAPAN
Tsuda University, a private institution of higher education for women with a history of more than 110 years, in Tokyo, Japan, announces the following opening:
- Assistant Professor or Associate Professor in Communication Studies (with tenure) at the Department of English in the College of Liberal Arts
April 1, 2021
- Fields of expertise: Speech Communication/Communication Studies
- Ph.D. in Speech Communication/Communication Studies with degree in hand (strongly preferred) or imminent by the time of appointment
- Relevant teaching experience at the university level
- Strong interest in teaching English language as a tool of communication
- Publications in the field of expertise
- Native or bilingual proficiency in English
- To teach courses at both undergraduate and graduate levels, including but not limited to communication theory and research, intercultural communication, interpersonal communication, and rhetorical criticism. The successful candidate is also expected to teach English language courses such as Academic Writing, Public Speaking, and Debate.
- To carry out committee and administrative duties as a full-time faculty member.
- To understand and appreciate the core mission and values of Tsuda University, and
incorporate these ideas into educational and work practices.
- The language of instruction will primarily be English. However, the successful candidate should also have sufficient Japanese proficiency to handle daily academic and administrative work.
- Letter of application
- Curriculum vitae in English (free format)
- List of publications, conference presentations, research, teaching, and/or professional achievements. Please specify as such if the publications listed are peer-reviewed.
- Originals, offprints, or copies of three publications (with a summary of each; 500 words in English)
- Description of your current research and future research plan (around 1000 words in English)
- Description of your views on the importance of teaching communication theory and skills to university students (around 1000 words in English)
- Copy of graduation certificate and/or transcript of the highest degree earned
- Copy of at least one syllabus of a relevant course that you have taught, along with any teaching awards or recognition
- Names and contact information of at least two references
April 17th, 2020 (Japan Standard Time) delivery date
Applications should be sent to the following address by Japan Post Letter Pack, EMS, FedEx, DHL or other methods with a tracking number. Please mark ‘Application for Communication Studies position’ on the envelope:
Search Committee/Communication Studies
Department of English
2-1-1 Tsuda-machi, Kodaira-shi, Tokyo 187-8577 JAPAN
After reviewing the submitted documents, shortlisted applicants will be asked to provide two reference letters. Interviews (combined with a demonstration class) will be conducted to select the final candidate. Applicants will be notified of the results after the final candidate has been selected. Interviews with overseas applicants may be conducted over Skype.
*Tsuda University is an Affirmative Action / Equal Employment Opportunity employer.