| Japanese |
| Access | Sitemap |
 
About tsuda
Profile
Message from the President
Facilities
Campus Life
Undergraduate Couse
Guraduate Programs
Reserach Institutes
International Exchange Programs
Fact Sheet
 
Tsuda College
2-1-1 Tsuda-machi, Kodaira-shi, Tokyo 187-8577, Japan

E-mail

Japanese site

 
Profile
In 1900, Umeko Tsuda founded one of the first private institutions of higher education for women in Japan, Joshi Eigaku Juku. As the school grew, its name was changed first to Tsuda Eigaku Juku and then to Tsuda Juku Senmon Gakko. During the Educational Reformation of 1948, the name was changed again to Tsuda Juku Daigaku (Tsuda College).
    In 1871, Umeko Tsuda, then six years old, was one of five young women selected by the Hokkaido Colonization Board for their overseas study program. After living for 11 years in a suburb of Washington, D.C., she returned to Japan in 1882 at the age of 17. Upon her return, she experienced a severe case of culture shock. She was particularly alarmed at Japanese society’s prejudice against women and quickly decided that something must be done to improve the social status of women. She became determined to provide Japanese women with the opportunity to obtain higher education.
    More than 27,500 women have graduated from Tsuda College to date, and those women are now playing active roles in all walks of life. Our philosophy regarding education and research can be summarized as follows:
image
1. As a women’s college, we recognize the need to improve the social status of women and to realize a society that is co-created through the active participation of both men and women in order to ensure a relationship built on mutual respect. To this end, we encourage our students to play an active role in society and make their own unique contributions.
2. Our curriculum emphasizes a liberal arts education. Here, students study a wide variety of disciplines, in addition to selecting a major in a specific field.
3. Viewing language learning as a means for broadening students’ perspectives and cultivating an international outlook, Tsuda College has made language learning the cornerstone of its program.
4. At Tsuda College, the autonomy of students is respected. They are encouraged to take initiative and assert themselves more effectively.
5. Classes are kept small to foster quality instruction and high levels of individual attention.
6. Faculty members engage in educational and research duties with diligence and commitment.
Administrative members fulfill their duties with hard work and dedication as well.

History

photA photB
1900 Umeko Tsuda opens Joshi Eigaku Juku in Ichiban-cho, Kojimachi Ward, Tokyo, and 10 students enroll.
1905 Joshi Eigaku Juku becomes the first educational institution permitted to autonomously confer teaching certificates to its students.
1931 The new school building is built on a campus in Kodaira (in Western Tokyo). Three hundred and fifty-two students enroll.
1933 The school changes its name from Joshi Eigaku Juku to Tsuda Eigaku Juku.
1943 Permission is granted to establish the Department of Science.
1948 In accordance with the Educational Reformation Proclamation of the previous year, the school is granted permission to become Tsuda College (with the Department of English becoming the first department in the Faculty of Liberal Arts).
1949 Tsuda College establishes the Department of Mathematics. Four hundred and forty-two students enroll in the two departments of the Faculty of Liberal Arts.
1960 Tsuda College establishes Japan’s first language laboratory.
1963 Tsuda College is granted permission to start a graduate school master’s program granting degrees in English Literature and Mathematics.
1965 Permission to set up a doctoral program in English Literature is granted.
1969 Permission to establish the Department of International and Cultural Studies is granted.
1972 Permission to set up a doctoral program in Mathematics is granted.
1974 Tsuda College is granted permission to start a graduate school master’s program in International and Cultural Studies.
1976 Permission for a doctoral program in International and Cultural Studies is granted.
1996 The Department of Mathematics officially changes its name to the Department of Mathematics and Computer Science.
2000 Tsuda College celebrates its centennial anniversary.
2001 The College establishes the Center for International Exchange.
2003 Tsuda College establishes the Multicultural Studies/International Cooperation Course.
2006 The Department of Mathematics and Computer Science is reorganized into two departments: the Department of Mathematics and the Department of Computer Science. A new Media Studies Course is also established.
2008 Tsuda College establishes a new campus in Sendagaya.
2010 Tsuda College commemorates its 110 anniversary.

Organization Chart
  page top
Copyright (c) Tsuda College 2013. All rights reserved.